Friday, April 11, 2008

The Caldecott Award

I am so looking forward to this unit on picture books! I am always astounded by the amazing artwork that is present in some picture books. I was looking at some of the recent winners of the Caldecott Award, which is “awarded annually to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children”, according to the ALA (American Library Association) website, www.ala.org. The 2007 Caldecott went to a book I have already read and reviewed here: The Invention of Hugo Cabret. The website shows honorable mentions of the year also. Those for 2007 included Henry’s Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad written by Ellen Levine and illustrated by Kadir Nelson. Another honor book was Knufflebunny by Mo Willems (author of the “Pigeon” books), which I have seen before but never read. These lists are a great source and they are all books with amazing and unique artwork.

No comments: