Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The last time I read “The Hobbit” was in second grade and the only thing I remember from reading it was Bilbo’s trick with Smaug. I also recall disliking the songs and riddles, because I didn’t understand. This time around however, I have really enjoyed the songs and especially the riddles! My favorite riddle from Gollum and Bilbo’s contest was the “egg” one. Tolkein’s songs to me, are reminiscent of those we read in “The Princess and the Goblin”. However in “The Hobbit” songs are not only for the good, but the bad also, like the goblins and wargs, they sing and create songs also. The songs in this book have a different meaning than in “The Princess and the Goblin”. However they still have power for the good characters. When Bilbo saves the dwarves from the spiders he lures them and angers them through teasing songs to work them up so he can outsmart them. Songs clearly play an important role in the book.

No comments: