Thursday, April 10, 2008

Book 9: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl has been sitting on a bookshelf at my house back home for several years, and I just never got around to reading it. Well, I finally read it and was amazed. I did not expect the incredible story that was in store. This book is definitely for older kids, at least in middle school, but is a book any one could enjoy. If this book was an assignment for a class it would be a great book to inspire students to write papers. The main themes in Stargirl are about not conforming and being oneself. It also provokes thoughts of what is acceptable to society and why. Any student could use this book to talk about personal experiences and ideas and theories. I like how Spinelli’s book doesn’t seem particularly complex or difficult, but deals with such hard topics that relate to everyone.

No comments: