Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Several months ago when I was excavating in my garage back home and searching for some college stuff, I discovered some boxes of old books and games from my childhood that never made their way into our house. Most of the books I recognized but there was one big and colorful one I had absolutely no recollection of. It’s title was something to the effect of “We’re all different”. The really neat thing about this book was how on every page it would show some aspect of our world/universe. It had a section about animals and planets and languages. The best section was the one about people and how we are not all the same. It had pictures of all sorts of people, from African tribesmen to Dutch children. This book’s theme was teaching children how everyone isn’t the same, even though it can feel that way in our little bubbles as kids. We are all special and different and loved by God. I really liked this book and the way in which it presented such an important theme. It was sad to me I hadn’t been interested enough to have read it as a child or maybe it was just discarded somehow. I think books with similar themes are very important to children and I know as a teacher a portion of my books will focus on this essential topic!

No comments: