Saturday, March 22, 2008

The first time I read poems by William Carlos Williams they just seemed odd to me. They’re certainly uniquely different from most of the other poems I read when I was younger. In sixth grade I had to do a report on a poem by a poet and I drew Williams. I was torn between the poem “This is Just to Say” and “The Red Wheelbarrow”. I finally picked “This is Just to Say”. It’s so short and simple but the imagery is clear. You can’t help but see the purple plum coming out of the icebox and tasting so sweet and cold. My favorite line though is about how “you were probably saving for breakfast, forgive me they were delicious”. Once one can adjust to the different style these poems actually carry a lot of meaning, though some of it may be hidden, as in the wheelbarrow.

No comments: