Monday, February 11, 2008

Henry vs. Char- the answer is clear.

I last saw Ever After once several years ago, so I got excited when I discovered we’d be watching it in class! The movie has been nice; though full of sickeningly sappy moments at times. While watching this movie, especially after reading Ella Enchanted, I can’t help but compare Prince Henry and Char. Let me just say, there is no comparing the two. Our first introduction to Henry is that he wants to marry for love, which makes him likeable enough. However, throughout the film his key traits reveal that he is thoughtless, a bad listener, selfish, in love with himself and just plain cocky. I’m being cruel. He has nice moments: he’s helpful in saving DaVinci’s painting and he takes Danielle to the library. I have trouble seeing why Danielle falls for him when he is so clueless. I suppose he just doesn’t compare with Char and I can’t help but compare other prince’s from the story with him. I also find Char’s faults more forgivable. Ever After is an enjoyable take on the Cinderella Story, but not my favorite. The irony is fun in how the personalities of the Prince and Cinderella are switched. She is smart and even saves him, and herself, while he is oblivious and often just allows things to happen. So this idea is a fun take on the story, but not satisfying. At least the Prince’s character develops over the course of the story. I still think I’ll stick with Char.

No comments: